Sunday, July 12, 2020

Elephant foot yam stem and leaf in coconut milk

First time in my life I got a chance to cook elephant foot yam leaves. I had seen my mom cooking the stem. She use to prepare the stem stir fry in coconut.
Now Covid 19 lockdown gives me the chance to turn to leaf also. When two stems are found in a plant, one shall be taken for cooking. I didn’t care my amorphophalus plants, because plenty of other veggies were there. Yesterday saw the double stems and cut one. It was fully bloomed one. I know it is having acridity nature and itches. The calcium oxalate is the reason for the itchy nature. It is easily soluble in water. So because it was a matured leaf, washed it and chopped it. Dipping the leaves in boiling water helps to get rid of the acridity. 
Boil water, soak the leaves and boil for 2 more minutes. Off the flame keep it for another 3 minutes. Drain out the water and keep it aside.
Other ingredients 
Well Cooked yellow peas 1cup,
Onion 1, garlic cloves 5, both chopped,
Green chilli 3, sliced,
Coconut milk 1 cup,
Coconut oil 2 tsp,
Salt to taste,
Cumin powder 1/2 tsp,
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp,
Chilli powder 1/4 tsp.
Preparation 
Heat the oil in a shallow wok, drop in onion, garlic and salt, sauté till tender, add turmeric powder followed by the stewed stem and leaves, cook for 5 minutes, and chilli and cumin powders, mix well, add cooked yellow peas, combine well, add coconut milk, mix well, allow to bubble. Dish is ready. Serve hot with rice or chapatti.



No comments:

Post a Comment